Poisonous Plants and Vegetables
Plants in your backyard and inside your home provide a great environment in which to live for humans and our small friends. The unfortunate truth is that the vast majority of our garden plants are potentially dangerous to our pets. Even some of our familiar vegetables can be harmful to dogs and cats. Below is a list of the most commonly encountered poisonous plants and vegetables – it is not exhaustive. If you have any queries about whether a particular plant or vegetable is poisonous to your small friend, please call Small Friends Veterinary Hospital on 02 6262 2233.
Cycad Species Palms
Popular Flowering Plants
|Trees and Shrubs
All stone fruit trees: apricot, peach, nectarine, plum, cherry
Citrus trees (grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange)
Macadamia nut tree
Other Common Plants
Fruits and Vegetables
What are some signs that my small friend has eaten something poisonous or harmful?
Some common signs of toxicity are: vomiting, diarrhoea, dribbling saliva/frothing at the mouth, being quieter than normal, shaking, paddling, being disoriented and wobbly when walking, inappetance and collapse. As you can appreciate, these are a wide range of signs and are not specific to poisoning. If you notice any of these signs in your small friend please call Small Friends Veterinary Hospital on 6262 2233 to arrange for them to be checked by our vet as soon as possible.
What should I do if I suspect my small friend has eaten something harmful?
Please bring your small friend in to be seen by our vet immediately. Generally, the earlier a toxicosis is treated, the better the outcome. Also if possible, please bring a sample of the substance your small friend was chewing on (or the packaging) so a positive identification could be made.
Are there specific antidotes for poisonous foods?
Unfortunately, there are no antidotes for plant/vegetable poisonings. If a harmful material is ingested your small friend may be made to vomit up what he/she has eaten before the majority of the poison gets absorbed into the system. Other treatments for toxicity are largely supportive and may include fluid therapy, medication to protect the lining of the stomach and intestines, and hospitalisation and careful observation.
What can I do to prevent my small friend from chewing on my garden plants?
The hard answer is that it’s probably not possible to have a lush, magazine perfect garden which is equally friendly to our pets. So sorry gardeners – certain sacrifices need to be made when you have a small friend and a garden!
Most of our small friends do have enough common sense to leave most of our plants alone. For our ‘problem children’ who insist on tasting parts of our garden, you may need to fence off these plants to make them strictly off-limits. If fencing is not a practical option or if your small friend finds the fences no barrier to them and their culinary fancies, you are better off removing the poisonous plants altogether. While it may be heartbreaking to remove your favourite ornamental plants, it would be much worse to lose a small friend who took a fancy to chewing on that plant.
This page is dedicated to Chloe May and her family: Carolyn, Sarge, Angus, Winnie, Harry, Bella and Brazil. It is Chloe and her wonderful family who gave us the idea about our poisonous plants and vegetables page. Thank you very much for your suggestion and concern for our fellow pet owners and their small friends!
Back to Information Pages